Sunday, February 28, 2010

Penne with Crispy Cauliflower



















"Cauliflower, like such other cruciferous vegetables as broccoli, cabbage, and kale, is know for its antioxidant properties.  Some evidence suggests that these kin may also help in the fight against rheumatoid arthritis.  All of them seem to contain compounds that aid the body in its efforts to neutralize potentially toxic and carcinogenic substances..."
















1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
4 olive oil-packed anchovy fillets
1 head cauliflower, trimmed and broken or cut into bite-sized florets
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound penne
grated dry Jack or other grating cheese for serving

 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking the pasta.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the 1/3 cup olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the anchovy fillets and use a wooden spoon to smash the anchovies once they begin to melt into the oil.  Add the cauliflower and cook until soft and browned, about 10 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

 

While the cauliflower is cooking, add salt to the boiling water and then add the pasta and cook until al dente.  Scoop out and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water, and stir together for a couple of minutes.  Add more of the pasta water if the mixture seems dry.
Pour the pasta onto a platter or into a big bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.  Pass the cheese at the table.


Serves 4 to 6

My Review

I had the chance to visit San Francisco a couple seasons ago and made a bee-line for the Ferry Plaza.  I spent my entire afternoon browsing and eating my way through the Ferry Building.  I came across this autographed copy of "The San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market Cookbook"  from a cute little shop called The Gardener.  I love this cookbook and all its fresh simple recipes.  I can't wait to try more recipes from this one and I can't wait to go back to the city where I left my heart!

3 comments: